What are the best smartphone blood glucose meters for 2021? Unfortunately, the answer to this question is not as simple as it may seem. It’s overwhelming how many different models of smartphone blood glucose meters are on the market, and they all vary in app compatibility, accuracy, precision, cost, and more! To help you find the right glucometer for your needs, we have curated a list of some of the highest-rated options out there.
Table of Contents
What Is a Smartphone Blood Glucose Meter, Anyways?
These devices convert your smartphone into an on-the-go glucose meter. It’s a fantastic innovation that makes blood glucose monitoring more accessible and more compact than ever. There are two different types: one is compatible with an app on your phone and one that plugs into your phone, turning it into a glucose meter device by displaying the results and data on the screen.
Those who require continuous glucose monitoring can now limit the number of things they need to carry with them throughout the day. Since most people carry a smartphone with them all day anyway, it was a no-brainer to incorporate smartphones into the CGM process.
Back in the day, people with diabetes would need to have their glucose monitoring kit with them at all times, where they would manually prick their finger with their large lancet device, plug it into the glucose meter, and wait to get their results. They would then have to manually record those results and take the appropriate action necessary.
In that same vein (no pun intended), older continuous glucose monitoring systems methods meant people would have their CGM data sensor stuck into their belly, next to their battery-powered glucose meter pack attached to their waistband. This method was cumbersome and annoying as it was such a bulky thing you’d have to wear every day.
Today, with the innovations of smartphone capabilities and the design of much smaller and compact CGM data sensors, those living with diabetes can monitor their glucose all day without any inhibitions.
What are the Benefits of Continuous Glucose Monitoring?
Those living with type 1 diabetes more commonly require continuous glucose monitoring. Still, those with type 2 can also benefit, especially those with gestational diabetes or those just learning how to manage it independently.
Continuous glucose monitoring simply means rather than manually checking your blood sugar throughout the day before and after meals and before bed, the CGM device will track it all day long. Those with type 1 diabetes who cannot properly produce insulin benefit significantly from measuring it all day. It may alert them when their blood sugar is too low or too high, and they can quickly respond.
Poor management of blood glucose levels can cause a slew of complications such as heart disease, kidney problems, eye issues, nerve damage to the extremities (such as fingers and toes), neuropathy, etc. Prolonged high blood sugar can cause these symptoms and, over time, only worsen, so CGM helps prevent these issues and significantly improve the longevity and quality of life for those living with diabetes.
The Benefits of Using a Smartphone Blood Glucose Meter
Smartphone glucometers are a convenient way to keep tabs on your glucose levels. They’re small and lightweight so that you can take them with you anywhere in the world without any hassle or fuss. You don’t have to worry about carrying around bulky equipment that might not be compatible with where you’re going. And smartphone glucometers also provide a wealth of data about your glucose levels too.
More benefits include:
- Reminders to check blood glucose levels. No longer do you need to set timers or check the clock to know when it’s time to check your glucose levels.
- Accurate blood glucose readings. Smartphones paired with the innovative glucose meter technology provide some of the most accurate blood glucose readings you can get. And thanks to the speed of the results, you can re-test in no time at all.
- Set personalized goals and track symptoms. All data is housed right there in a smartphone app, and you can get in-time results, compare them to your other readings, and get an authentic glimpse into how well your diabetes is being managed.
- User-friendly interface. These apps and devices do not have a steep learning curve. The very user-friendly interfaces make it easy for people with any level of technical expertise to utilize the tools.
- Integrate with other diabetes management tools and devices. For example, many glucose meter devices are compatible with smartphones, making it easier than ever to use all the tools available to you.
- Easily share data with providers. Easily share measurements via your app and email providers, nurses, caregivers, or family members right from your phone.
- Compact and easy for travel. You already have your phone on you, and all you need is your compact lancets and glucose reader, and you’re ready to go. No more cumbersome carrying cases or battery packs.
- Improve medication adherence. Taking your proper insulin on time, in the right doses is critical to managing your diabetes. Smartphone glucose meters help to adhere to those medications.
- Fast test results. Your smartphone can kick out results faster than ever. No longer do you need to wait forever for an accurate reading.
- Connects directly with your handheld device. So whether you have an android or apple, or any other type of smart mobile device, these glucose meters are compatible with most mobile devices.
Best Smartphone Blood Glucose Meters for 2021
Below is a list of smartphone blood glucose meters that have been rated as some of the best on Amazon. We’ve also provided links to our in-depth reviews and product pages so you can get more information before making a purchase.
This smartphone glucose meter is one of the top-rated smartphone blood glucose meters on Amazon, and it has compatibility with most Android devices. In addition, it’s been called “incredibly accurate” by many users due to its ability to be worn on your body 24 hours a day for up to 14 days.
- FDA-cleared for use by children with diabetes ages 4+
- Painless one-second scan instead of a fingerstick
- Customizable, real-time glucose alarms notifying you of too low or too high blood sugar
- Unparalleled 14-day accuracy for adults and children
The Gmate Pro has been called the best smartphone blood glucose meter for app compatibility, accuracy, and precision. It is incredibly compact and compatible with both IOS and Android (that have a standard headphone jack).
- Easy to use: simply insert into the earphone jack of compatible iPhone and Android phones
- The simple light indicator tells you your test is ready
- Insert your Gmate Strip into the port to begin your blood glucose test
- It’s truly as easy as 1, 2, 3
The Accu-Chek Glucose Meter System is one of the most popular smartphone blood glucose meters on the market regarding app compatibility and accuracy. It has also been innovated to be strip-free—no more fumbling around with those tiny test strips.
- Strip-free: No single strips to handle
- Includes a continuous test tape with 50 tests
- Get accurate results in 5 seconds
- It’s been clinically proven to help to reduce HbA1c
The Dario smartphone glucose meter has been called one of the best smartphone blood glucose meters on Amazon and is compatible with Android and iOS. It’s an excellent option for people who often travel because it includes everything you need in this convenient kit that is small enough to fit in your pocket.
- No adapters needed: this device connects directly to your mobile device
- Powered by your smartphone: no extra batteries are needed
- Get ISO standard results with just one small blood sample
- Accurate blood glucose readings within 6 seconds
- Conveniently fits in your pocket or purse
And last but not least, the Pops Rebel + Mina glucose monitoring system offers integrated technology to get timely, accurate results. Our app provides you with the best diabetes assistant you can find—Mina. Mina will remind you to check your blood sugar and make recommendations best suited for you and your specific needs. The app easily connects to your iOS and Android devices for an easy-to-use blood glucose monitoring system.
- Less painful blood glucose measurements
- It comes with a discreet lancing device and glucose monitor
- Collects and manages your personal data so you can show diabetes who’s boss
- Accurate readings in seconds
- Three integrated tests and lancets in each module
- It comes with 24 testing strips and 24 sterile lancets
Smartphone blood glucose meters are great options for people who need a portable, accurate way to monitor their blood glucose. Smartphone technology continues to innovate and improve, getting people with diabetes back to living their lives. You can expect the smartphone blood glucose meter options to keep getting better with time, and stay tuned for more advancements in the future!
In the meantime, check out our Pops Rebel + Mina system, and as always, check out our blog for more tips on managing your diabetes in the best way possible using the tools and recipes available to you.